Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Experimenting…

I’ve been cooking a lot lately, trying to figure out what I want, what I can eat, what I can’t. I’ve learned that I can not eat vegetables the way that I used to. I used to eat steamed broccoli, asparagus and Brussels sprouts. Now…my stomach just does not agree with me anymore when I do that. I need to cook them till they are nearly nothing, soggy masses and then…I can eat them. Damn! That upsets me on so many levels, it’s not funny. So the other day, I wanted to make sure that what was the issue was. I made the following menu, cooking the sprouts the way I normally do. Everything went well, the chicken was nice and moist and the potatoes were…okay. the sprouts…had me clutching the porcelain god in agony. I may have to try it again later in the year, when my stomach is better and more healed. For now…boiling food is going to have to be the way to go.

The Husband’s plate

 

My plate:

Chicken Piccata

Ingredients

  • 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, pounded flat
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • All-purpose flour, for dredging 
  • 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed 

 

Directions

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat up 3 tablespoons olive oil. When oil starts to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

 

Curried Sweet Potatos

 

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450. Halve the sweet potatoes and cut ech piece lengthwise into quarters. If they are big, cut each piece into thirds.
  2. Toss with the oil, curry powder, salt, and cayenne in a large bowl.
  3. Arrange in a single layer on a large nonstick baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 35-40 minutes.

    Brussels Sprouts

  • 1 bag frozen Brussels Sprouts
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon of pepper
  • 5 tablespoon of olive oil

 

  1. Preheat oven to 450. Coat sprouts in olive, salt, pepper.
  2. cook for 30-40 minutes.

No comments: