Sunday, January 9, 2011

Polenta and salmon

Yesterday was a good day. Deciding to forgo the chicken again, I made something new. I’m trying out these recipes from a book titled “The Baby Bistro Cookbook”. I know, baby food? But for the stage of the bariatric diet that I’m at, baby food is as hood as I’m going to go. So, we’ve been trying out recipes from it to see what I like and maybe, add it into the routine of daily eating. So, after the disaster of the chicken, I made something simpler…mostly. Polenta and salmon. I say simper mostly because I have never made polenta…ever. To me, it was some kind of mystery that needed to be studied further, by someone other than me. Don’t get me wrong, it looks delicious and I’m always ready to try it. As long as someone else is making it or it’s store bought. The hubby *sigh* was feeling cheap and decided that we could make it from scratch. Reluctantly, I agreed.

After forcing him to go online and get/find a recipe, we embarked on this new adventure, which turned out very tasty.

The salmon was simple enough and with the polenta and peas, very good. I must say, this is going in the recipe book for good.

IMG_0020[1]

 

Recipe adapted from The Baby Bistro Cookbook

Salmon:

2 salmon filets (I used frozen defrosted)

1 tsp. of salt

1 tsp. of pepper

1/4 tsp. of curry powder

Olive oil

Preheat oven to 325. Combine the the salt, curry powered and pepper. In a foil lined pan, place fish. Lightly coat the salmon filets with olive oil, making sure to spread it out and cover the filets. Sprinkle the mixture over the fish, rubbing in on the sides and top to evenly coat. Put into oven and cook for approximately 25 minutes.

Polenta:

3 cups of water

1 cup polenta

1 cup frozen peas

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1/3 cup half and half

1/2 tbsp. salt, plus more to taste

Pepper to taste

Bring the water to a boil in a large, heavy pot. Add the salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat. Add the cheese  half and half, peas and pepper. Stir until cheese has melted. Peas will thaw in the hot polenta, coming out nice and crisp, with their green color still bright. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the polenta to a bowl and serve.

IMG_0018[1]

Since the fish took a bit longer than the polenta, the peas were nice and tender by the time dinner was ready. I only a little, but the hubby wiped his plate clean, so I’m taking it that was good.

No comments: