Monday, April 29, 2013

Leftovers

So, after cooking all the steak of last time, there was definitely leftovers. My parents don’t eat all the much and I sure as hell don’t so…we had extras. Normally, I don’t do leftovers…something about the texture and the way the microwave just messes things up. This time though, I used the oven to heat things up and it came out better than I expected.

Steak and Hummus sandwiches

1/2 red onion, thinly sliced

*1/2 cup sliced pickled banana peppers, plus 1/2 cup juice from the jar

1/2 cup hummus

1 pound grilled flank steak (reserved from previous recipe)

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

4 pocketless pitas

8 romaine lettuce leaves, thinly sliced (I used bagged salad mix)

1. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Toss the onion, banana peppers and 1/3 cup of pickle juice in a bowl. Whisk the hummus with 3-4 tablespoons water in another bowl until smooth and pourable.

2. Thinly slice the steak against the grain, then cut crosswise into bite-size pieces. Toss the remaining tablespoons pickle juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

3. Brush the pitas on one side with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, oiled-side down, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.

4.Remove the pitas from the grill and top with the steak. Drain the onion and peppers; divide evenly among the pitas. Top with the lettuce and drizzle with the hummus sauce. Top with hot sauce, if desired.

*I did not use the banana peppers, instead I used the tapenade.

The recipe calls for pocketless pitas, but I decided to use whole wheat flatbread that I warmed in the oven with the meat. I also mixed the onions with the leftover tapenade from before. Very tasty addition

921099_4698584151912_2084255032_o

No comments: