Friday, December 31, 2010

Going out to eat

Yesterday, before dinner, waaaaaayyyy before dinner, the hubby and I had lunch. He was hungry and so was i…sort of. I wasn’t thirsty, so it had to be hunger. We stopped off at Jimmy John’s, a sandwich shop here in CO and ordered. Now, ordering when you are still in the soft food stages of bariatric surgery is hard work. No bread, nothing hard, no noodles…not so limiting, just challenging.

So staring up at the menu of things I can no longer eat or can’t eat right now, my brain froze. Did I really want to order a $7 sandwich so I could only eat the meat and some veg’s, and still have leftovers since I’m still at an ounce of food. I almost told my hubby to get what he wanted and then I’d pick off his sandwich.

I can see that convo now.

Then, at the bottom of the list, was what they call “slims”. Sandwich's with only meat and no veggie's. Worked for me. So I told my hubby what I wanted and sent him to the counter. He gets there and orders it with no bread. I’m horrified. Not sure why, but I am. I don’t want them to think I’m snobby diet freak. I rush over and tell the girl to ignore him, just order the slim. Everyone is looking at me like I’m crazy, but I’m going to hold my ground. I do not want to look like a freak.

Finally, the guy behind the counter making the meals is like “Why don’t I just wrap it up in iceberg lettuce instead of the bread?”

Why the hell didn’t I think of that? I nod and go to sit down, still embarassed at my reaction.

After getting my meal, I take about two bites…and I’m done. Should not have drunk all the water, but still, it was an ounce of food.

So far the forays into ordering out have not been promising, but I’m sure things will get easier as time goes by.

No comments: