Thursday, May 16, 2013

Flashbacks continued...

     I bet you didn't know that i had another blog? Well i did. It was a secret one that i posted most of the stuff that I went through before, during and even after surgery. I don't update that blog much, bout to cannibalize it and use for my business venture that i want to do, so i thought i would put some of the stuff i wrote about here, for you to read and maybe commiserate with. If I've posted it here before, sorry. For those of you who haven't read it or are new here, don't hesitate to read it and ask questions. I'm still just as open as i was and nothing (mostly) is off limits.

     We are going to be doing this for next few weeks, since i had a lot of stuff i never put here. It just won't be all at once since...that would be boring. (Flashbacks in Italics)


Written in 2009:
     As I said before, I’m on my way to getting bariatric surgery. My vital stats even gave me pause when I looked at them, so I know that I need to do something. It’s not so much about being skinny, as it is getting off the med, preventing diabetes, cystic kidneys and other diseases that afflict my family harsher as we go up in weight. So, after the initial seminar that is required, I had a consult with the surgeon who would be doing the procedure. Asked some basic questions about my diets attempts and the weight that I lost on each one and how much I gained back after each failed attempt. Just general stuff to make sure I knew what I was doing. Very nice man all in all. At the moment, his name escapes me, but when I find it again I’ll mention it. I know that it’s Dr. Halmi, so that’s something. After that, I needed to have a consultation with the registered dietician.

     That was very enlightening and saddening. So the diagnosis is this:

     I’m a FREAKIN snacker. It’s not that I didn’t know that already, preferring to grab things already made rather than take the time to make. The issue is the type of snacks that I grab. Anything really. I don’t discriminate with the food. Naughty me! *smacks hand!* It’s a habit that I’m going to have to break if I want this work. So, no snacking. Also, more water intake. I knew that but to have if it said that it’s going to make a difference in my weight loss and how successful it is, it hit home this time. More water!

     So, after that, I another appt with my regular doctor. Did not go well and I’m even more determined to make this work. He wants to up my blood pressure medicine. I’m not so sure about it since for the days before that appt, my BP was at 130/92 and the nurse took it at 136/95 and then he took it at 158/92 an 1 1/2 hours later. It might not help since he pumps the damn cuff until my arm tingles and I can’t feel a thing. It’s so tight it starts to roll back on itself. Hmmm…I’m just going to take my meds the same as always and keep track so I can see if it’s really that high or he’s just…whatever.

     My next appt is for a pulmonary consult. Have no idea what to expect and it freaks me out. They are talking about doing a sleep study after the consult if it calls for one and I sincerely hope not. I don’t think I have sleep apnea, but who knows. My husband sleeps like the dead so he wouldn’t know. The next week is my pysch exam. That’s should be REALLY fun. Not sure what to expect from that either, so it’s gonna be fun. I have like three pages to fill out before I get there and I need to get on it. So many questions!!!

     During all this, I have classes to attend and homework to do for all of them. I think I’m gonna be busy.

No comments: